Dell EMC Unity OE version 4.4 includes SAN Copy Pull as a part of the code. SAN Copy Pull is a migration tool which migrates data from block storage resources, either standalone LUNs/Volumes or VMFS Datastores, found on supported systems to Dell EMC Unity. A SAN Copy Pull migration session can be configured over Fibre Channel (FC) or iSCSI to migrate the data. All I/Os must be suspended on the source storage resources and host access should be removed during the migraion.
Migrations utilizing Dell EMC Unity SAN Copy Pull to migrate from a source system to the target Dell EMC Unity system. SAN Copy Pull sessions is only available through UEMCLI or REST API.
Systems supported by Dell EMC Unity SAN Copy Pull:
- Dell EMC SC / Compellent
- Dell EMC PS / EqualLogic
- Dell EMC UnityVSA with iSCSI only
- Dell EMC VMAX
- HP EVA
- HPE 3PAR
- Hitachi HDS
The following are the high level migration process,
- Set up the data path connection between the source and target storage systems.
- Create a LUN on the destination system and note the CLI ID of the storage resouce.
- Remove host access to the resources on the source storage system and add Unity as a host on the source storage system.
- Data is read from source and written to the target LUN.
- Give a host access to Unity storage system.
Dell EMC Unity: Migration Technologies – White paper
This video will go over the SAN Copy Pull feature which allows for migration of block data to Dell EMC Unity systems.