2-Node vSAN cluster is a great choice for remote office/branch office (ROBO) scenarios, as it can be managed by the vCener server in HQ Datacenter. Setting up the 2 nodes in a direct connect configuration can be beneficial if the remote site has limited switch port availability, or no 10GB switching available.
This diagram is the architecture of 2-Node vSAN cluster.
In this configuration, 6 x IP addresses are required:
- 1 x routable management IP per node (ROBO site VLAN)
- 1 x non-routable vSAN VMKernel IP per node (ROBO site non-routable VLAN)
- 1 x routable management IP for witness appliance (Witness site VLAN)
- 1 x routable Witness VMKernel IP for witness appliance (alternate Witness site VLAN)
The following steps should be followed to install a new 2 Node vSAN Cluster.
Navigate to the cluster in the vSphere Client. Click the Configure tab.
Under vSAN, click Services. Click the Configure tab.
Select Two host vSAN Cluster and Next.
Select the services desired that are compatible with the hardware and licensing options for the cluster. Click NEXT.
- Deduplication and Compression will require vSAN Advanced licensing or higher and All-Flash hardware
- Encryption will require vSAN Enterprise Licensing and an available KMIP 1.1 compliant Key Management Server (KMS).
NOTE In 2 Node vSAN it is important to get into the habit of using Allow Reduced Redundancy. This is because any time there is a requirement to create/remove/recreate a vSAN Disk Group on a 2 Node vSAN Cluster, the Allow Reduced Redundancy option is required. Without this setting checked, changes will likely not occur due to the cluster not being able to maintain storage policy compliance.
Disks should be selected for their appropriate role in the vSAN cluster. Click NEXT.
Select the vSAN Witness host to act as the vSAN Witness for the 2 Node vSAN Cluster. Click NEXT.
Claim storage devices on the witness host and click NEXT.
Claim storage devices on the witness host. Select one flash device for the cache tier, and one or more devices for the capacity tier.
Review the vSAN 2 Node Cluster configuration for accuracy and click Finish.