VMware I/O Analyzer is an integrated framework designed to measure storage performance in a virtual environment and to help diagnose storage performance concerns. I/O Analyzer, supplied as an easy-to-deploy virtual appliance, automates storage performance analysis through a unified interface that can be used to configure and deploy storage tests and view graphical results for those tests.
I/O Analyzer can use Iometer to generate synthetic I/O loads or a trace replay tool to deploy real application workloads. It uses the VMware VI SDK to remotely collect storage performance statistics from VMware ESX/ESXi hosts. Standardizing load generation and statistics collection allows users and VMware engineers to have a high level of confidence in the data collected.
Please post comments and questions regarding this fling to the I/O Analyzer Community.
- Integrated framework for storage performance testing
- Readily deployable virtual appliance
- Easy configuration and launch of storage I/O tests on one or more hosts
- Integrated performance results at both guest and host levels
- Storage I/O trace replay as an additional workload generator
- Ability to upload storage I/O traces for automatic extraction of vital metrics
- Graphical visualization of workload metrics and performance results
New in version 1.6
- Upgraded to SLES 64-bit VM
- Upgraded to 64-bit JVM with 1.6GB default heap size
- Upgraded to Tomcat6
- Disabled esxtop CSV output by default to avoid running out of JVM heap
- Added experimental NFS-client stats collection
- Added experimental non-persistent configuration option
- Various bug fixes
- Updated documentation
Using the VMware I/O Analyzer v1.5: A Guide to Testing Multiple Workloads
Download VMware I/O Analyzer